Skip to main content

New Introduction

I haven't written in this blog for nearly two years. Let me re-introduce this blog by answering the 6 WH questions:

Who...

is writing this blog? Me (Jeremy Slagoski). You can see my profile in the margin.

is this blog for? Take a look at the list below, which is prioritized from primary audience to secondary audiences.
  • All ESL and EFL teachers around the world, primarily ones who are teaching or will teaching English in Japan, Korea, Russia, and in American universities
  • EFL and ESL teacher trainers
  • Researchers in the fields of curriculum & instruction, teaching & learning, intercultural communication, and related academic fields
  • Those involved in the English Language Fellowship Program
  • Anyone interested in teaching EFL or ESL
  • English language learners
  • Instructors in general
  • Anyone else who has interest in my profession, my interests, and myself.
What...
is a blog? Click here at http://www.blogger.com/tour_start.g

is this blog about? See below for another list.
  • My observations on teaching English in Japan, Korea, Russia, and Wisconsin
  • My insight into ESL & EFL teaching methods and approaches
  • My reflections on my work as an associate lecturer at the University of Wisconsin at La Crosse and as a Senior English Language Fellow
  • My answers to FAQ (frequently as questions) from Russian teachers of English
Where
I am living in La Crosse, Wisconsin until I choose the best PhD program for myself
I have worked in Kumagaya, in Japan, Seoul in South Korea, the Volga Region in Russia, and La Crosse in the state of Wisconsin.
My hometown is Kenosha, Wisconsin.

When
I started working at the ESL Institute in the University of Wisconsin, La Crosse in September 2007.
My future PhD program will start in either August or September 2009.

Why...
am I teaching English as a foreign language? (summarized answer)
  • I grew up in a multi-cultural family with siblings adopted from Korea and the Philippines.
  • English has been my best and favorite subject since I elementary school.
am in La Crosse, Wisconsin?
  • After teacher-training for five years, I had the desire to go back to teaching English as a Second Language to see if I could practice what I preached.
  • I wanted to live in the United States to start a family and be near more family and friends
  • I wanted to teach ESL full-time in the United States to broaden my abilities and observe the similarities and differences of teaching ESL abroad
How
do I teach English? I teach English using the communicative language teaching approach, more specifically using the task-based and content-based approaches. (summarized answer)

do I speak Japanese, Korean, and Russian? I speak all those languages at the beginning level. My Japanese speaking and listening is probably the best, but I can read and write Korean and Russian much better.

do I go to work? Since my daughter was born, I've been driving to work more often.

is the weather today? It's partly cloudy and pleasant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is So Great About Extensive Reading?

I'm collaborating on a research and development project for integrating extensive reading into intensive English programs. After the initial review of the most recent literature, I was quite surprised at the overwhelming positive effects of extensive reading on reading proficiency, comprehension, and motivation. Although I'm still skeptical, I'd like to share the findings with you.

I looked at 17 articles published since 2012. Although this may not seem like much, 3 of these articles were meta-analyses, which investigated a much larger quantity of studies on extensive reading. Only one was not relevant to intensive English programs, bringing it down to 16 articles. Many of these articles came from the 2015 discussion forums in Reading in a Foreign Language. The majority of those discussion forum articles were not empirical studies, but they went in depth answering "What constitutes extensive reading?" After summarizing these answers, this blog post covers the res…

Are you an Open Educator?

Image from https://www.flickr.com/photos/gforsythe/18162314289 What is an Open Educator? According to a recently published article from the International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning (IRRODL):

An Open Educator chooses to use open approaches, when possible and appropriate, with the aim to remove all unnecessary barriers to learning. He/she works through an open online identity and relies on online social networking to enrich and implement his/her work, understanding that collaboration bears a responsibility towards the work of others.

Does this sound attractive for English language teachers? It seems to some who offer courses through or with YouTube. But what does it mean "to remove all unnecessary barriers to learning?" Working for free? Not necessarily. If you read the article, it seems you'd be working on a sliding scale depending on the socioeconomic status of the learners, but this sliding scale is a sliding slope. How can poor le…

The Tao of Praxis

Last week, I started reading The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff to my daughter as part of her bedtime regimen. I bought this book years ago after a colleague recommended it to me when he learned I was interested in Taoism. Since then I have embraced much of its philosophy, but I stop short of calling myself a Taoist. I didn't realize until now that Taoism has deeply affected my attitudes and beliefs towards English language teaching and scholarship, especially concerning the concept of praxis. Below are some examples.


The passage above comes from Chapter 3: Spelling Tuesday, page 26. It's not a subtle attack on academics, specifically those whose goals are to get published to be accepted among an elite circle of scholars. This is particularly striking to me because, at this point in my life, I would like to gain acceptance among this elite circle, which I perhaps naively equate to tenured professors. However, I strive to make my life's work beneficial to English language te…