Skip to main content

Taking Student Praise



If there's one thing I find difficult to do as a teacher, it is taking student praise.  This is example of a humblebrag, a newer word in the English lexicon. The truth is that I was raised in a household where praise was restrained and mainly reserved for achievements that clearly exceeded expectations. Actually, I find it more difficult to give praise than to receive praise because of this upbringing. It took me a few years to praise students who adequately met my expectations.

Student Praise

Last term, I had a very rewarding experience teaching English to a relatively small but dedicated group of students. This combination of class size and student motivation helped me meet the linguistic, academic, and cultural needs of each student more effectively than in most other classes. Most of the students preferred this extra attention to their needs and skills, but there was one that didn't want me to get to know his learning and studying strategies too well. 

I had two very high performing students in this class. One had excellent note-taking strategies that went above and beyond almost all the students I have ever taught in my 15+ years of teaching. The other had a greater understanding of pedagogy and language learning than most students. In addition, she had a personal and professional interest in education technology. For me, it is rare to find a student so plugged into teaching, learning, and technology in a way that matches my professional learning interests.

When this wonderful class ended, it seemed that we were in denial.  Nobody wanted to say "goodbye," and I hoped that I would see many of them in future classes.  A few days after our last day of class, I received the following email message:
I was very touched by this message, and I felt a mix of emotions, including appreciation, sadness, and validation. I appreciated that student and the whole class in general. I also felt sad because I remember having similar students in previous institutions in the US and overseas, and I wanted to hold on to the moment cherishing them all.  The least humble emotion was validation because I serve as curriculum coordinator and her praise validates my teaching background and philosophy. However, this feeling of validation was followed by disgust because that's not the emotion I wanted to feel. I wanted to appreciate my genuine connection with the students more than feeling proud of myself.

That's why this is a humblebrag.  If pride was not my goal, then why am I sharing this student's praise on my blog. The purpose is to demonstrate the mix of emotions that I feel.  How many or what proportion of teachers get a guilty conscience when receiving high praise like this?

Praise as Evidence


I had a professor that told me to always keep and collect student praise like this as evidence of my teaching effectiveness.  But I don't recall sharing them with my supervisors or to search committees for teaching jobs. They do get to see or request my statistics from student evaluations, but many people including myself see little value in these evaluations, especially from students who may not understand them well enough linguistically and culturally. Even as a supervisor, I tend to rely a bit more on qualitative assessment of teaching effectiveness more than quantitative. My background in culturally responsive teaching has taught me that the connection with and expectations for students is much more valuable than the content itself. If a teacher cannot engage students, then quality learning cannot take place for the most part.

In contrast to the last paragraph, I am also a skeptical person and tend to value statistical evidence over anecdotal evidence. Because of this, my gut reaction is to pay little attention to student praise until it becomes a reliable pattern. I have to remind myself that teaching and learning is more about human nature, which is messy, than it is about the exchange of information, which is easier to control and measure. Teachers must be good at both, but I've learned that the art of teaching (human nature) is usually what keeps students engaged and coming for more, which provides a nice positive feedback loop for the teacher and the institution.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Wikipedia Too Difficult to Read?

Image from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Afghan_man_reading_Wikipedia_article_in_Kandahar.jpg The short answer via statistical analysis is yes .  For more information, read  Lucassen, T., Dijkstra, R., & Schraagen, J. M. (2012). Readability of Wikipedia.  First Monday at   http://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/3916/3297 .  Wikipedians are aware that the open online encyclopedia may be too difficult, and there is a discussion of its reading level at  https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Reading_level . Much of this discussion took place over a decade ago, but the gist is that many contributors write at or for the college level. What appeals to me most is at the end of the page, where Wikipedians are discussing accessibility and what it means to be open to all. Here's my screenshot (in case it gets edited later). What does this mean for English language teachers? I was interested in seeing how selected Wikipedia articles range according to

Adrian Holliday

In January 2015, the University of Warwick (UK) hosted a lecture by Dr. Adrian Holliday, whose work has greatly influenced my dissertation.  The lecture was recorded and can be viewed at http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/al/research/groups/llta/activities/events/holliday .  If you are interested in watching the video, I advise that you wear headphones as Dr. Holliday was not wearing a microphone.   For this blog, I briefly summarize the video, highlighting what I found most provocative.  Following that, I explain how Holliday's work has influenced my research and teaching philosophy for the past 5-10 years. Summary of "Revisiting appropriate methodology, BANA, TESEP and 'contexts'" The main purpose of this lecture was for Holliday to reflect upon his book Appropriate Methodology and Social Context , published 20 years ago by Cambridge University Press.  In this lecture, he integrated criticism from another professor whose research I admire, Dr. Suresh Cana

TESOL Job Market Trends 2009-2018

I have been tracking full-time TESOL jobs since Fall 2009, my first year as a Ph.D. student at the University of Iowa. Back then, the job market was quite bad because of the 2008 economic crisis. My motivation for tracking jobs was to help my future TESOL students understand the market. This was based on colleagues asking about good locations to live and work. I had hunches but not enough data, and now I have almost a decade of data. What did I track?  In Fall 2009, I started tracking TESOL job announcements from HigherEdJobs.com and the TESOL Career Center for tenure and non-tenure professorships in universities and community colleges. In 2010, I expanded my tracking to include instructor positions at universities (mainly intensive English programs) and "other" jobs, which used to be mainly governmental, non-profit, and publishing jobs. But now they are predominantly in the for-profit higher education ELT industry, including corporations like Shorelight and INTO. In 201