Skip to main content

Why I teach ESL

This semester, I'm taking a seminar on teacher education. The readings and discussions have prompted me to reevaluate my motivations for teaching English as a second language. I have found it useful to answer the question, "Why do you teach?" because students have come up to me and asked. This question has caught me off guard as I didn't expect them to ask me this question as I met them in the hall. I believe that I didn't give them the best answer I could, so I disappointed myself. Perhaps that disappointed them.

So, why do I teach ESL? Or better, why do I choose to remain an ESL instructor? I can answer these questions in a few categories.

Intellectually Stimulating

I like having my worldview challenged. Living and working in another culture have certainly challenged my American worldview. After living in three different countries for nearly a decade total, I can safely say that my worldview is not the same as it was before I started teaching English.

Of course being immersed in a new culture is intellectually stimulating, but what about teaching? Part of teaching English is finding the connection between the teacher's background knowledge and the students' background knowledge. I love the challenge of discovering the gaps in my knowledge that cannot meet the needs of the student. When I discover these gaps, then I spend a good deal of time learning what I need to meet his or her needs. Sometimes this directly conflicts with my teaching approach or philosophy. That's when I have to make the crucial decision of who needs to change? When I teach overseas, it's usually me who has to change during the first year. When I teach in the US, it's usually the student, but that doesn't mean I refuse to change.

Teaching in the United States to a culturally diverse class can be more challenging. The unifying factor is that we are in an American classroom, so I have to find techniques to bring students into a more American frame of mind. Some students do it willingly and others do not. This is not brainwashing as I do not force my students to believe that the American way is the best way. However I have to let them know how Americans view rules and certain behaviors. I know some of the techniques to appeal to Japanese, Korean, and Russian students but those techniques are not widely used in America. This has brought me to the conclusion that I need to acquaint them with American teaching styles even though we will face emotional obstacles because of it.

Even more intellectually stimulating are the discussions that students or I evoke in class. I like to encourage open-mindedness, so I and sometimes students will volunteer discussion topics that may threaten a more close-minded person. I think nothing interests me more than discovering the thought processes of someone from a different cultural background, and this person doesn't necessarily have to be from another country.

No, I really don't like arguing, but I like to see how one's viewpoints have been formed. I can discover this in nearly any class regardless of their English-speaking ability. Students with a lower proficiency of English can illustrate their worldview by expressing preferences or raising topics that are not raised as often in my culture.

This is why I prefer teaching adults. Most of them already have a well-developed worldview because they have established their identity. My personal and professional goal is to find commonality between our worldviews, so that, professionally, I can teach them better; and personally, I can understand that worldview better. Perhaps I should have been a sociologist because I like to encounter as many worldviews as possible to broaden my worldview and to avoid unnecessary conflict. That said, I do not expect all conflict to be avoided but there are certain kinds that can be and should be avoided.

Creativity

This is a personal trait of mine that I have been aware of since I can remember. Many of my family members and friends have commented on my creativity. Because of this feedback, I have made sure that my future jobs would allow for a reasonable amount of creativity. I do not need total creativity because sometimes the best creativity comes out of restriction. I just request no excessive restrictions on my creativity.

My first teaching job had such restrictions, but it was my first job so I had no teaching experience to fall back on. I was quite the teaching drone for the first year, but I was granted a very modest amount of creativity for the second year. If it wasn't for my second year of teaching at this entry-level position, I probably would not have made the decision to make ESL education my career.

For this job, I was bound to the textbook and the school's method of instruction. In my second year, I added supplementary material that complemented the textbook, imitating its style and linguistic objectives. I also created material that bridged the gap between the core textbook and the very dull but very popular supplementary text on idioms and phrasal verbs. I received compliments from fellow instructors for the authenticity of the language and contexts in my materials.

Other than creating materials, I also challenged myself by reducing my dependence on the core textbook. I found this to be most useful for students who have gone through the textbook at least twice. This new approach made me more learner-centered. I spent the first third of class with an activity or discussion to find their grammatical weak points, and then I referred them to the appropriate chapter or I created an impromptu lesson on the spot. After several weeks of this, I realized I had a gift for teaching impromptu.

Quite similar to my first teaching position, my first teacher training position also limited my creativity in that we were bound to a teaching approach and a very specific curriculum, sometimes planned to the minute. As a new teacher trainer, this was perfect for me. I didn't expect to bring in any creativity until my second year. However, after my first semester, there was a need to revamp the practicum course, and I had the ideas that were needed.

The second semester was an interim practicum course in which half of the curriculum was from the previous semester and the other half was from my recommendations. The supervisor and course coordinator took a close look at student feedback and found that the newer curriculum matched the students' needs better. In the second year, I took on the task of recreating the practicum course. The outcome of this was published in 2007 in the English Teaching Forum.

I reached the peak of my creativity in curriculum development in Russia and the ESL Institute in La Crosse, Wisconsin. In both places, I was granted a gracious amount of creativity. In Russia, I designed my own outreach teacher training program for the Greater Volga Region. In La Crosse, I designed two of my four courses from scratch, and later on piloted a new pronunciation and academic skills lab. The feedback from Russia was enormously positive. And the feedback from Wisconsin was neutral in the first year, but positive in the second year. I left both places with excellent plans. Although I don't regret leaving, I often daydream how the second outreach teacher training program in Russia would have been and how my reading and speaking courses in La Crosse would have been.

A dynamic field
Although I don't enjoy it to the extent I did 10 years ago, I still enjoy the process of change. There are not many professions that change as rapidly as the field of ESL education. Here's a list of all the changes that could occur in one year:
  1. School or location - An ESL teacher can teach nearly anywhere in the world at any one time.
  2. Students - If I choose to stay in one place for a long period of time, the cultural diversity of my class can change rapidly from semester to semester. The recent trend in intensive English language programs has seen a shift from a Saudi-dominated classroom to a Chinese-dominated classroom.
  3. Popular approaches to teach - Content-based or task-based? Form-focused or holistic? Integrated skills or skills divided into separate classes?
  4. Technology - computers and their software, online technology, distance education, new media
  5. Language - English changes year after year, especially idioms and vocabulary
  6. Market-dependent motivation in adult students
None of these 6 items stays the same for too long. Because of this rapidly changing field, I have to remain flexible and adaptable to these changes or else my teaching approach, principles, and philosophies will become obsolete. If I take on these changes without panic or anxiety, then I can manage to age gracefully and maintain my youth through my openness to constant change. How can anyone stay bored in this field?

Personal reasons
I have written about this on my website, about how I come from a multicultural family and I have always had a love for the English language and all languages in general. It seems logical to me that ESL education was the place where my interest and background in language and culture merge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Wikipedia Too Difficult to Read?

Image from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Afghan_man_reading_Wikipedia_article_in_Kandahar.jpg The short answer via statistical analysis is yes .  For more information, read  Lucassen, T., Dijkstra, R., & Schraagen, J. M. (2012). Readability of Wikipedia.  First Monday at   http://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/3916/3297 .  Wikipedians are aware that the open online encyclopedia may be too difficult, and there is a discussion of its reading level at  https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Reading_level . Much of this discussion took place over a decade ago, but the gist is that many contributors write at or for the college level. What appeals to me most is at the end of the page, where Wikipedians are discussing accessibility and what it means to be open to all. Here's my screenshot (in case it gets edited later). What does this mean for English language teachers? I was interested in seeing how selected Wikipedia articles range according to

Adrian Holliday

In January 2015, the University of Warwick (UK) hosted a lecture by Dr. Adrian Holliday, whose work has greatly influenced my dissertation.  The lecture was recorded and can be viewed at http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/al/research/groups/llta/activities/events/holliday .  If you are interested in watching the video, I advise that you wear headphones as Dr. Holliday was not wearing a microphone.   For this blog, I briefly summarize the video, highlighting what I found most provocative.  Following that, I explain how Holliday's work has influenced my research and teaching philosophy for the past 5-10 years. Summary of "Revisiting appropriate methodology, BANA, TESEP and 'contexts'" The main purpose of this lecture was for Holliday to reflect upon his book Appropriate Methodology and Social Context , published 20 years ago by Cambridge University Press.  In this lecture, he integrated criticism from another professor whose research I admire, Dr. Suresh Cana

TESOL Job Market Trends 2009-2018

I have been tracking full-time TESOL jobs since Fall 2009, my first year as a Ph.D. student at the University of Iowa. Back then, the job market was quite bad because of the 2008 economic crisis. My motivation for tracking jobs was to help my future TESOL students understand the market. This was based on colleagues asking about good locations to live and work. I had hunches but not enough data, and now I have almost a decade of data. What did I track?  In Fall 2009, I started tracking TESOL job announcements from HigherEdJobs.com and the TESOL Career Center for tenure and non-tenure professorships in universities and community colleges. In 2010, I expanded my tracking to include instructor positions at universities (mainly intensive English programs) and "other" jobs, which used to be mainly governmental, non-profit, and publishing jobs. But now they are predominantly in the for-profit higher education ELT industry, including corporations like Shorelight and INTO. In 201