Skip to main content

The Future of Professional Learning in TESOL

Earlier this month, the TESOL International Association held a summit in Athens, Greece on the future of our profession. This summit was recorded and can be viewed here: http://www.tesol.org/summit-2017/themes/futurology-recorded-sessions

There were many takeaways from this summit, and I've been following reactions both internally, through the myTESOL online portal, and externally, through the Twitter hashtag #TESOLsummit. Below are some screenshots of tweets that got my attention.



These struck a chord in me because I believe CPD (collaborative professional development) is not the future of TESOL. It is the present! It's what I'm doing right now on this blog and what I have been doing by engaging TESOL teachers and researchers online.

However, online PD is not an option for many teachers, either because of accessibility or personal feelings towards social media and e-learning. On the flip side, accessibility and personal feelings towards massive international conferences keep many teachers away from the annual TESOL Convention. A viable alternative to online and traditional PD is the EdCamp, something that K-12 teachers have been doing for years with great success (Carpenter & Linton, 2016).

What is an EdCamp?

An EdCamp is a type of "unconference," which is participant-driven and inquiry-driven.  There are no plenary, keynote, or other types of speakers.  Every session is a discussion on a topic decided upon by the attendees, which in this case were IEP faculty and staff.  EdCamps were originally designed for and by K-12 educators in the United States. I wrote about this after we successfully held our first EdCamp last year at https://jesl1.blogspot.com/2016/02/developing-successful-edcamp-for.html.

What does the evidence say?

Research on EdCamps is quite new, but the leading researcher seems to be Jeff Carpenter at Elon University.

Last year, he co-wrote an article published in Teaching and Teacher Education regarding educators' perspectives on EdCamps at http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0742051X16300427. This was an exploratory survey-based study that showed high levels of enthusiasm, "a preference among educators for participant-driven, teacher-led PD," and "a strong sense of of responsibility for their own professional learning" (p.104). Because EdCamps are quite new, it's too early to determine any longitudinal benefits affecting teachers, schools, and their students. But is there any evidence traditional PD opportunities have any benefits? I will be following this line of research closely. Right now I have a lot of anecdotal evidence to support EdCamps.

IEP Camps

The timing of the 2017 TESOL Summit on Futurology and our 2nd annual Shawnee Hills IEP Camp was a coincidence. They were only a week apart from each other, but both have reaffirmed my dedication to participant-driven discussion-based professional development. Furthermore, I think IEP Camps would be more beneficial if researchers were invited to understand the day-to-day issues and concerns teachers face. IEP Camps are a treasure trove for opportunities to close the research-practice gap and to promote action research. We look forward to seeing more IEP teachers in our region attend next year.

I strongly support the growth of more IEP camps and other EdCamps associated with English language learning across the country and the world. I've been told that KOTESOL (Korea) will be experimenting with this model this year, and I hope they are successful. I am happy to provide free consultation to anyone who is interested in setting one up. And if my schedule and budget allows, I would even like to participate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Wikipedia Too Difficult to Read?

Image from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Afghan_man_reading_Wikipedia_article_in_Kandahar.jpg The short answer via statistical analysis is yes .  For more information, read  Lucassen, T., Dijkstra, R., & Schraagen, J. M. (2012). Readability of Wikipedia.  First Monday at   http://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/3916/3297 .  Wikipedians are aware that the open online encyclopedia may be too difficult, and there is a discussion of its reading level at  https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Reading_level . Much of this discussion took place over a decade ago, but the gist is that many contributors write at or for the college level. What appeals to me most is at the end of the page, where Wikipedians are discussing accessibility and what it means to be open to all. Here's my screenshot (in case it gets edited later). What does this mean for English language teachers? I was interested in seeing how selected Wikipedia articles range according to

Adrian Holliday

In January 2015, the University of Warwick (UK) hosted a lecture by Dr. Adrian Holliday, whose work has greatly influenced my dissertation.  The lecture was recorded and can be viewed at http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/al/research/groups/llta/activities/events/holliday .  If you are interested in watching the video, I advise that you wear headphones as Dr. Holliday was not wearing a microphone.   For this blog, I briefly summarize the video, highlighting what I found most provocative.  Following that, I explain how Holliday's work has influenced my research and teaching philosophy for the past 5-10 years. Summary of "Revisiting appropriate methodology, BANA, TESEP and 'contexts'" The main purpose of this lecture was for Holliday to reflect upon his book Appropriate Methodology and Social Context , published 20 years ago by Cambridge University Press.  In this lecture, he integrated criticism from another professor whose research I admire, Dr. Suresh Cana

TESOL Job Market Trends 2009-2018

I have been tracking full-time TESOL jobs since Fall 2009, my first year as a Ph.D. student at the University of Iowa. Back then, the job market was quite bad because of the 2008 economic crisis. My motivation for tracking jobs was to help my future TESOL students understand the market. This was based on colleagues asking about good locations to live and work. I had hunches but not enough data, and now I have almost a decade of data. What did I track?  In Fall 2009, I started tracking TESOL job announcements from HigherEdJobs.com and the TESOL Career Center for tenure and non-tenure professorships in universities and community colleges. In 2010, I expanded my tracking to include instructor positions at universities (mainly intensive English programs) and "other" jobs, which used to be mainly governmental, non-profit, and publishing jobs. But now they are predominantly in the for-profit higher education ELT industry, including corporations like Shorelight and INTO. In 201