Skip to main content

My Reintroduction to TESOL Methodology

From 2003 to 2007, TESOL Methodology was my thing.  I taught it as a teacher trainer at Sookmyung Women's University in Seoul, Korea and as a Senior English Language Fellow in Russia.  Before earning my PhD, those two jobs were the high points of my career.  Now I am in a position that combines those experiences with my newer (raw) skills as a researcher, coordinating curriculum for an intensive English program.  One thing I love about this job is that I get to revisit literature on TESOL methodology through the lens of a researcher.

Shocked Not Shocked


As I'm updating myself on the developments of content-based instruction (CBI), I was shocked how much of the literature is based more from the qualitative side of research than quantitative.  Then again, I had to remind myself about education research in general, that's it's quite difficult to conduct ethical and valid "experiments" in the classroom.  I remember that deflated feeling early in my coursework that many studies on teaching methods are not respected highly by many researchers.  I believe this is one reason for the divide between researchers and practitioners.  Many new teachers are told that a certain approach or methodology is the best way to teach their students, but most of that reasoning seems to be based on the institution's attachment or commitment to a philosophy rather than empirical evidence.

I feel like a bit of a hypocrite because my expertise is in TESOL methodology and qualitative research, however I am more convinced of results from quantitative research because I have a personal bias towards science and skepticism.  What I love about the advent of Web 2.0 is that we know can compile more and more narratives about what works and what doesn't work in the classroom from all over the world.  Some teachers are more connected than ever before because on social media and personal learning networks, but the problem still remains that these teachers are likely a certain type of teacher that does not represent all teachers.  So it is possible to compile more evidence that a certain teaching approach works better or worse than others.

Science of Learning


First of all, I'd like to promote a blogger, Russell Mayne, who writes on the science of learning in EFL, but I think many of his posts are relevant beyond the EFL contexts.  His blog is called Evidence Based EFL and can be found at http://malingual.blogspot.com/.  Please check it out!


Secondly, a great book for those with a preference for evidence-based pedagogy should check out the book Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning, which I blogged about last year at http://jesl1.blogspot.com/2014/09/make-english-language-learning-stick.html
Much of what I want to say about the science of learning is contained in that post.

What Am I Learning Now?

Through my reintroduction to TESOL methodology, I'm learning how more closely related TESOL is to fields outside of education and linguistics, such as philosophy and anthropology.  When I took courses in the departments of communications and sociocultural anthropology, one name came up in both that always sounded familiar but I couldn't exactly pin it down.  It was Dell Hymes, one of the "founders" of the communicative language teaching approach.  Through all of my graduate education, I learned much about him indirectly but I never had a course or the time to read through his work.  This shows that there is always much to learn in the little niche that is English language teaching even after you earn a PhD.  That being said, I'm not going to pursue another degree.


I am interested in learning more about making research more accessible to practitioners, and helping teachers develop critical thinking skills specifically on the latest research and trends to avoid getting snared by disciplinary buzzwords that are more sales pitches for publishers and technology peddlers than research-informed theories and practices.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Wikipedia Too Difficult to Read?

Image from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Afghan_man_reading_Wikipedia_article_in_Kandahar.jpg The short answer via statistical analysis is yes .  For more information, read  Lucassen, T., Dijkstra, R., & Schraagen, J. M. (2012). Readability of Wikipedia.  First Monday at   http://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/3916/3297 .  Wikipedians are aware that the open online encyclopedia may be too difficult, and there is a discussion of its reading level at  https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Reading_level . Much of this discussion took place over a decade ago, but the gist is that many contributors write at or for the college level. What appeals to me most is at the end of the page, where Wikipedians are discussing accessibility and what it means to be open to all. Here's my screenshot (in case it gets edited later). What does this mean for English language teachers? I was interested in seeing how selected Wikipedia articles range according to

Adrian Holliday

In January 2015, the University of Warwick (UK) hosted a lecture by Dr. Adrian Holliday, whose work has greatly influenced my dissertation.  The lecture was recorded and can be viewed at http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/al/research/groups/llta/activities/events/holliday .  If you are interested in watching the video, I advise that you wear headphones as Dr. Holliday was not wearing a microphone.   For this blog, I briefly summarize the video, highlighting what I found most provocative.  Following that, I explain how Holliday's work has influenced my research and teaching philosophy for the past 5-10 years. Summary of "Revisiting appropriate methodology, BANA, TESEP and 'contexts'" The main purpose of this lecture was for Holliday to reflect upon his book Appropriate Methodology and Social Context , published 20 years ago by Cambridge University Press.  In this lecture, he integrated criticism from another professor whose research I admire, Dr. Suresh Cana

TESOL Job Market Trends 2009-2018

I have been tracking full-time TESOL jobs since Fall 2009, my first year as a Ph.D. student at the University of Iowa. Back then, the job market was quite bad because of the 2008 economic crisis. My motivation for tracking jobs was to help my future TESOL students understand the market. This was based on colleagues asking about good locations to live and work. I had hunches but not enough data, and now I have almost a decade of data. What did I track?  In Fall 2009, I started tracking TESOL job announcements from HigherEdJobs.com and the TESOL Career Center for tenure and non-tenure professorships in universities and community colleges. In 2010, I expanded my tracking to include instructor positions at universities (mainly intensive English programs) and "other" jobs, which used to be mainly governmental, non-profit, and publishing jobs. But now they are predominantly in the for-profit higher education ELT industry, including corporations like Shorelight and INTO. In 201